Friday 25 February 2011

An overview...

In case you're wondering what my screen name's all about- "Rene" means Rebirth in French; it's also the name of one of my favorite Mathematicians/Philosophers; "1729" is Ramanujan's number (Another favorite M). Now, trolling off the nerd-talk, I'm gonna post about the thoughts I ponder on the most in my head... Excepting National Politics and Football, of course!

Then, as it was... Then again it will be
Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea.
These lines from the song 10 years gone by Led Zeppelin express some really deep thought, which may seem really simple to digest at first glance but actually roots out to more.

Studying "Engineering" (that's what my college calls it) has been a complete contradiction to what I'd imagined before entering the stream. Facilities: top notch. Teachers and Curriculum: avg. The only class I've enjoyed to the fullest in my 4 semesters of study is the Fluid Mech class and the Machine Design class- both by the same teacher- but of course in consecutive semesters. He reminds me of my Calculus teacher from my younger years: innovative, adaptive and most importantly practical! (Undoubtedly the coolest teacher). His classes are where I realize that I'm still doing Engg! Well, I guess this is what exposure to foreign education system does to a person. Not that our systems have no hope. They have a serious pitfall, but what bugs me is its reluctance to change: the teachers from yesteryears just don't budge. If, even with the changing technology, we learn the same stuff which they taught two and a half decades ago, I don't think we are benefiting ourselves in any way. No updation of knowledge is done, in any sort, by them. Laboratories have machines, some of which are very well maintained, most of which are outdated and some others which don't even function properly- the same ones we operate and get "accurate" results. LOL! To top this, we even learn CAD theory which has trivial algorithms from the '70s and '80s.

Nincompoop-ism at it's height, I must say.

The Other Side

Majority (>85%) of the students who enroll are rich, stuck up kids who have no seriousness, no idea where they're headed and no zeal whatsoever. With plenty of "moolah" at their dispense, they spend all their time in "chilling out" and partying. Without a proper filtering system for the acceptance of students, anything and everything related to the college's academics etc. will head downwards exponentially. It's the Couple hub, literally!
Relationship- A couple hand in hand with their PDA running loose in the campus- Wrong. The very definition of a relationship is being horribly cliched. There's no telling even if a person likes another for sure, because of what most do. Anyway, patience has no place today. Getting to know someone is out of the criteria. Just end up being a girlfriend and a boyfriend (Epic fail!)- these are the most "fashionable" words of today, at least that's how I put it.

Changing the system is out of the question. If it's good, we're lucky. If it's bad, well, we'll have a lot of work to do.


 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment